- Nissan unleashes the "pawfect" Rogue for Fido-friendly family adventures
- Built by Dennis McCarthy, car coordinator for Fast & Furious films, special equipment includes built-in food and water dishes, custom removable dog bed, 360-degree dog wash shower and integrated dog drying system
- Survey of 400 dog owners shows 83 percent say it is just as important for their dog to be safe and comfortable in their vehicle as other passengers1
- One-off Rogue Dogue project vehicle to be displayed at 2017 New York International Auto Show, April 14 through April 23 at Jacob Javits Convention Center
NEW YORK – The results are in – dog owners agree that their four-footed friends should be as safe and comfortable in a vehicle as their two-footed fellow passengers. Dog owners also rate clip-in harnesses and non-spill water dispensers as the most appealing dog-friendly accessories in a dog-friendly vehicle1.
The new Nissan "Rogue Dogue" project vehicle takes those ideas to heart – and adds a pack more – just in time for the one-off project’s debut at the 2017 New York International Auto Show.
"For all of the dog lovers at Nissan, the Rogue Dogue is so much fun – the equivalent, I guess you could say, of riding with your head out the window if you were a dog,” said Michael Bunce, vice president, Product Planning, Nissan North America, Inc. “Of course, we also take pets’ safety very seriously, which is why the Rogue Dogue includes secure leash fastening attachments in the second row and rear cargo area – along with numerous other features designed to make family travel with dogs more enjoyable for everyone."
The long list of Rogue Dogue modifications installed in the project vehicle includes:
- Secured, removable custom dog bed in the rear cargo area
- Built-in (fold-down) non-spill water dispenser
- Built-in (fold-down) non-spill dog food dispenser
- Slide-away dog ramp for easy access to rear compartment for small or elderly dogs
- 360-degree (hoop and hose) dog shower with 10 gallon pressurized water reserve
- Integrated dog drying system with compressed heated air dryer and outside hose attachment
- Heated air vents for rear cargo bed area
- Easy-to-clean custom interior materials
- Modified second-row/cargo area pass-through passageway
- Removable pet partition with Rogue Dogue logo between the second-row and cargo area
- Second-row dog hammock (clips around front and rear headrests)
- Raised rear floor in rear compartment housing utility drawer and dog ramp; drawer faces covered in custom easy-clean upholstery
- Side wall mounted poop bag dispenser
- Rear facing passive side view mirror cameras (video sent to hard drive) to capture dog’s road trip experiences – head out the window, interaction between dog and other drivers – for later viewing
- Dog first aid kit
- Harness clips mounted in rear compartment
- Rogue Dogue logo key fob
In the survey of dog owners, the top three most appealing dog-friendly features were found to be a clip-in harness hook (81 percent), a non-spill water dispenser (74 percent) and a slide-away dog ramp (55 percent).
"Everything that we built into the Rogue Dogue project is actually very possible to add to a production Rogue, though you do compromise the available rear cargo area slightly for the ramp, storage compartments and the food and water dispensers," said Dennis McCarthy, owner, Vehicle Effects, Sun Valley, Calif. "But really, next to your family, your dog is your most important cargo, so why not?"
Bunce added: "More than 75 percent of dog owners in the survey said that having optional features specifically designed for their dog’s safety and comfort would impact their decision on which vehicle to purchase. So potentially, every dog might have its day – and their custom-equipped Nissan Rogue, too."
The Rogue Dogue is based on a 2017 Rogue SL with the Platinum Reserve Interior Package, featuring premium tan leather-appointed seats with special quilted leather inserts.
About the 2017 Nissan Rogue
The Nissan Rogue, following three straight years of sales growth since the introduction of the completely redesigned second generation for the 2014 model year, takes another major step forward for 2017 with a new look, enhanced utility and an expanded suite of available Nissan Safety Shield technologies. Rogue is now Nissan’s top-selling vehicle.
In an expansion of the Rogue lineup, a new gasoline-electric hybrid powertrain – available in two grade levels and a choice of front-wheel or all-wheel drive – is offered for the first time in Rogue history. A new Rogue Sport model – which is slightly smaller, sportier and more affordable than Rogue and designed for younger, urban SUV buyers – goes on sale at Nissan dealers nationwide in spring 2017.
For more information on the 2017 Nissan Rogue and the complete line of 2017 Nissan sedans, sports cars, trucks, crossovers and SUVs, please visit www.NissanNews.com.
About Nissan North America
In North America, Nissan's operations include automotive styling, engineering, consumer and corporate financing, sales and marketing, distribution and manufacturing. Nissan is dedicated to improving the environment under the Nissan Green Program and has been recognized annually by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency as an ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year since 2010. More information on Nissan in North America and the complete line of Nissan and Infiniti vehicles can be found online at www.NissanUSA.com and www.InfinitiUSA.com, or visit the U.S. media sites NissanNews.com and InfinitiNews.com.
About Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
Nissan is a global full-line vehicle manufacturer that sells more than 60 models under the Nissan, Infiniti and Datsun brands. In fiscal year 2015, the company sold more than 5.4 million vehicles globally, generating revenue of 12.2 trillion yen. Nissan engineers, manufactures and markets the world's best-selling all-electric vehicle in history, the Nissan LEAF. Nissan's global headquarters in Yokohama, Japan, manages operations in six regions: ASEAN & Oceania; Africa, Middle East & India; China; Europe; Latin America and North America. Nissan has been partnered with French manufacturer Renault since 1999 and Mitsubishi Motors since 2016 under the Renault-Nissan Alliance.
# # #
Product Communications, Nissan North America
1. National survey of 401 current dog owners conducted March 27-29, 2017 by Heart+Mind Strategies, Reston, VA.